Wednesday 2 May 2012


Nada te turbe, 
nada te espante,
todo se pasa;
Dios no se muda.
La paciencia
todo lo alcanza;
Quien a Dios tiene,
nada le falta;
Solo Dios basta. 


- St Teresa of Avila










Let nothing trouble you
Let nothing frighten you
All things pass;
God does not change.
Patience wins everything;
Whoever has God
Lacks nothing; 

God alone is enough.   




The other day I posted a picture of a broken vase, representing how I was a few years ago, and quoted Jesus' words in Luke 4: 




‘The Spirit of the Lord is on me,
    because he has anointed me
    to proclaim good news to the poor.
He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners
    and recovery of sight for the blind,
to set the oppressed free,

to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favour.'




A day or so later, I read in Shaun Groves' blog here that the Greek word thraou, translated as oppressed, means “to break into pieces, shatter.” What I had known intuitively, spiritually, was shown to be true


It is through the broken things of this world, the weak and the vulnerable, that God reveals himself. That's why in the sermon on the mount we are called blessed. I'll save that one for another day...


Today I received a letter from a young lady who has spent six months at a Christian residential centre for young women so broken it is their last resort. In her time there, the God of love has brought her from a life of unsustainable, constant pain and despair into a life of light and hope and promise. 

Only God can do that.

It has been our privilege to help in a limited way financially. I say that not to show how 'good' we are but to show how God keeps his promises. I knew we were supposed to help this woman, and that we would be able to continue to do so, and God has not only allowed us to help, but we have been blessed in other ways. Frankly, giving money is the easy part. Anyone can do that. All the hard work has been that of the staff and especially the young woman herself. Her courage has been amazing. God has been faithful. I am in awe.





No comments:

Post a Comment